ABOUT    |    SHOP    |   EAT SOMETHING SUNDAY   |   FREEBIES   |   SPONSOR   |   CONTACT



Sunday, June 19, 2011

For my Dad

Friday was my dad's last day working. In fact, he did retire once before. But it didn't stick. 2 years later and the call of the principal's office was too strong. He was back (for 3 more years). My mom too. They've retired together after spending the last 3 years working in the same school. She teaching 1st grade and he principalling (I'm sure that's not really a word, but I'm making it work) the kids from pre-K up through high school. It's a little school abroad. I got to teach with them both for the 1st year there. It was pretty great. They're both pretty great.

But today is about dads. Fathers. Papas. And I go on and on about my mother a lot. She's one of my best friends. But Dad doesn't get to have a fanfare that often. So here's to my dad: a marvelous principal (I should know - he was in charge of my MS/HS years), a great teacher, a pretty decent racecar driver (back in the day), a farmer (now more of a gardener, but he had champion livestock in his time), a voracious reader, a general fix-it man, and - best of all - a supportive father. This day is for you.

dad


Happy Father's Day! I hope his retirement is as great as his career has been. He deserves it.


2 comments:

HazelandMare said...

Hehe, my dad retired and then went back to work, and just recently re-retired too! Your dad seems really awesome and I hope you had a great Father's Day!

-Katie, www.hazelandmare.com

laura kate said...

@Katie - Thanks! Glad that workaholism isn't a trait limited to my father alone!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I try to reply to comments, so check back if you have a question. :)