ABOUT    |    SHOP    |   EAT SOMETHING SUNDAY   |   FREEBIES   |   SPONSOR   |   CONTACT



Sunday, July 10, 2011

Tale of a Tasty Tart

The last few weeks have definitely been quite good for baking at Chez Crafty. A couple weeks back I spotted raspberries at the store and, feeling a bit lazy, picked up some refrigerated shortcrust dough (which is super uncommon for me as I'm a bit of a crust snob - but the less flaky nature of the fridge dough actually works well for a tart, I found). Then I came home and thought a bit. Some sleuthing, and some assessing what I had on hand, led to a little adaptation of a few tart recipes I found. In the end, I'm so glad I made my changes and adjustments. Because, yum yum yum, it makes a great dessert! I liked it so much, I made it again! (And the 2nd time was even better than the first!).

Laura Kate's Lemon Custard and Raspberry Tart
Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C
*1 shortcrust
*3 eggs
*2/3 cup sugar (caster sugar for the non-Americans)
*grated rind of 1 lemon
*juice of 1/2 - 1 lemon (to taste)
*1/2 cup heavy or double cream (and more for whipping, if desired)
*2 cups(ish) raspberries


1 - Either make your favorite shortcrust pastry or use a refrigerated type.
2 - Roll it out and place it in a 9" pie tin or, if you have one, a fluted tart/flan tin.
3 - Fill with rice or baking beans and blind bake for 15-20 minutes, removing the filler for the last 5.


Now time to mix up the custard!
3 - Whisk the eggs and the sugar together til nice and fluffy then add in the lemon rind and juice and whisk again
4 - In another bowl (a big one is best), whip the cream to soft peaks and then fold in the eggy mixture.


Berry fun!
5 - Place about 2/3 of your raspberries into the blindbaked crust. I like to put them down in pretty circles.
6 - Pour the custard mixture over the berries gently. Try to make sure they're all covered with the liquid.


Baking time!
7 - Put it all back into the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the custard is just set (wobbly but not hard).
8 - Let the tart cool at room temperature.


9 - Now take the rest of the raspberries and place them over the top of the tart. Make sure the tart has cooled all the way through before cutting or it'll be a bit too gooey inside to plate up! If you like, you can whip up your remaining cream for a lovely topping (I like adding a touch of vanilla or almond extract for extra tastiness). Dusting with powdered or confectioners sugar is another nice option.



Mmmmm....tastes like summer!

2 comments:

HazelandMare said...

That looks so delicious! I love lemon and raspberry together :) I need to buy a pie dish, stat!

laura kate said...

do! pies (and thereby tarts) = love.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I try to reply to comments, so check back if you have a question. :)