ABOUT    |    SHOP    |   EAT SOMETHING SUNDAY   |   FREEBIES   |   SPONSOR   |   CONTACT



Tuesday, September 6, 2011

American Adventures: Part 7 (Wed-Fri)



Part 7: The Big Easy (Wednesday to Friday)

We arrived to New Orleans on Wednesday afternoon. After a long train journey, we really weren't up to much that evening, but my sister took us out to dinner at Mulate's. It's rather touristy, but not in a bad way. Delicious cajun food. Nom nom nom.

ready to eat

mulate's

Our first full day started off with us being knocked over by the heat. It was around 100°F (37°Cish). I'm from the upper Midwest. I get humidity. But not that sort of humidity. I was a sweaty beast. Additionally, we made the mistake of going out between about 10:30am - 2pm. Stupid.

We wandered around the French Quarter. Having been before, I didn't take many photos. And, being early-ish in the day during the mid-week, there were many places not yet open. But Jackson Square was, as always, lovely.

Jackson Square

En route home (well, to my sister's house anyhow), we hopped on the St. Charles Avenue streetcar. The streetcars are so beautiful. They're vintage, with original features. Beautiful hardwood and open windows (no a/c here!) make for a lovely ride through the Garden District. The last 2 times I'd visited New Orleans, they weren't running again yet after Katrina. I'm glad that on this visit I finally got to experience them. (Plus, they're only $1.25!)

fortuna and the streetcar

st. charles avenue streetcar


On Friday, we stayed in for the morning - a much wiser decision! Our afternoon wander took us to Magazine Street and involved delicious snowballs - better than any snow cone I've ever had - and super yummy po-boy's at Mahony's. Root beer glazed ham? Yes, please!

We stopped at the new Soda Shop at the National WW2 Museum. I visited the museum on my last trip, and the boy wasn't particularly interested. So we just stopped in for drinks and to take in the atmosphere.

mmmm...fresh soda

at the WW2 museum soda shop

Before we headed to the beautiful and unique theatre production,"Darwin the Dinosaur", we took some photos along the river.

little girl, big river.


After the show, we hopped over to Cafe du Monde. mmmm...beignets.

nom nom nom

tasty

cafe du monde!

A great start to a great few days in such a beautiful city. The next day we visited some gators. I'll tell you all about it. :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I try to reply to comments, so check back if you have a question. :)