ABOUT    |    SHOP    |   EAT SOMETHING SUNDAY   |   FREEBIES   |   SPONSOR   |   CONTACT



Friday, June 1, 2012

...and then I ended up in New Jersey

Hey Kids, how's life?

Mine was significantly better than usual of late for a long last weekend. On Thursday night I attempted to fly from Madison to Newark. I say attempted as the 2 hour flight was delayed multiple times to a total of 3 extra hours of sitting around an airport with no airline representatives even coming near our gate to tell us why our plane, which had been there all along, wasn't being allowed to leave (bad weather on the East Coast, we later learned). Anyhow, eventually we got to fly away and I was met on the other end with hugs and smooches galore from the most missed fiance around.

Over the weekend a bit of time was spent in New York City. There were neat boathouse bar/restaurant times:
sunset over the Hudson


and a couple great walks on the High Line (a new NYC discovery for me on this visit):
The less green view


But a lot of the weekend was also spent exploring the area near where The Scot is currently sharing an apartment (and living it up bachelor style again) in Jersey City.
WTC view
(look! it's Manhattan over there!)


Now generally I'd hear the words "Jersey City" and cringe a bit. New Jersey on the whole doesn't have the best reputation for being a fabulous place, and Jersey City in particular gets a bad rap. But I have to say that, after visiting, I quite like it. Doesn't seem any different than living in far-out Queens or Brooklyn at all. It's a similar distance from Manhattan and similarly has good and bad neighborhoods - like any large urban area. And the riverfront walk between Jersey City and Hoboken (through the area of Newport) is just lovely!
Old Newport

a rest by the boats


I didn't explore Hoboken much other than the bit right on the river. An adventure for another time. But I have learned that that fair city has a location of The Melting Pot, a favorite very very occasional indulgence of mine. Overpriced, over-hyped fondue in a cozy corner booth with my man? Yes, please!
fondue!
(plus they get almost all their cheeses from Wisconsin!)


My flight home was a crazy ordeal of being boarded, sitting on a hot plane for 2 hours on the tarmac, being "deplaned" and waiting and waiting and re-boarding and then flying a bizarre route all in order to avoid a large storm system. I arrived back in Wisconsin 5 hours later than planned and much more the weary for it. But a weekend with this guy?
us


Totally worth it.

We next get to have adventures the first week of July. In the meantime I'm trying to throw myself into pseudo crafty wedding planning (the ideas for utilizing the button machine are pretty fun at present) and enjoying the Wisconsin summer.

Happy June!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I try to reply to comments, so check back if you have a question. :)