ABOUT    |    SHOP    |   EAT SOMETHING SUNDAY   |   FREEBIES   |   SPONSOR   |   CONTACT



Saturday, July 28, 2012

Dear Great Britain,

Dear Great Britain,

I miss you. It's been 3 1/2 months since I left you and my heart is sad. Last night I watched you and your people show the world your awesomeness at the Olympic Opening Ceremony. It made me cry. One, because it was beautiful and also because I was very sad to have to be away from you in this most momentous of summers. Missing the Queen's Jubilee was crap enough (she would've passed my building in her boat had I still been there), but this Olympics thing is killing me.

And so, here is a photo heavy ode to the Greatness of Great Britain (and likely the whole of the United Kingdom, but quite honestly I've not been to Northern Ireland yet).

I miss you, Great Britain. I miss your mostly reliable public transport:

tube stop disco

and it's ability to get me where I need to be (more or less) at any time of night or day.

arty cuteness on the bus


I miss the old places and old things. My state was founded in 1848. And while it does boast an imported French chapel that is the oldest building in the country, that's really not the same thing.

milepost

on westminster bridge

such a lovely place


I miss swans. Damn they're pretty. (Swans are a bit of a rarity in these parts).

swans swans swans

they have weird necks

swans = happiness

hello, swan
(I really, really, love swans)


i can never resist a swan photo

yearling swans.

preening #3


I miss ability to say "hey, let's go to a castle today." Castles are the best!

moaty

royal pavilion

stirling castle

hampton court

Stormy clouds at Blackness

edinburgh castle

hever castle moat

wispy skies

Linlithgow Palace
(even the ruined ones are fabulous)


The gorgeous old churches and cathedrals are wonderful too, though I'll spare a thousand photos there.

While I may love me a Jeffersonian Democracy as much as the next person, I have a great warmth for Her Maj. That Liz could teach most politicians a thing or two. Plus, she's more well-dressed than most ladies a third her age.

her maj

god save the sweets


There are so many things, so many beautiful places, so many lovely people I miss while I'm away from you Great Britain, but as it's summer and as it's a year of celebration I bet I'm missing out on happening upon some fantastic Morris dancers. I fucking love watching Morris dancing.

the boat race!

twirly whirly


However, for now I shall have to take comfort in all the things I love about the land where I grew up. There are many. And they are quite different. But I know that God- and the HomeOffice-willing, I shall be back on your rainy and overly-polite shores next summer. Until then, I keep in mind a message you bestowed upon me at the Tate a few years ago.

everything is going to be alright


See you soon(ish),

2 comments:

Nuwandalice said...

woah, how did I never notice you took so many awesome photos of swans?

I started making a post like this about St As but I got too emotional, lol. Maybe I need more time XD

nosy time - do you have plans to come back here long term? or just... going with the flow?

laura kate said...

Swans are the best! When we come back it'll most likely be for the long-haul, so far as visas come through and the boy's job stays awesome. But I have certain reservations about educating my kids and such. So we'll see what happens. But the plan for now is that going back to London ASAP is the plan for now! :p

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I try to reply to comments, so check back if you have a question. :)