ABOUT    |    SHOP    |   EAT SOMETHING SUNDAY   |   FREEBIES   |   SPONSOR   |   CONTACT



Thursday, January 17, 2013

Guitars & Beards


(an ancient photo of Alan with Prudence, my acoustic guitar).

Fact: I love music with real instruments. This isn't to say I don't love me some dance-y beats, because I totally do (ie: I LOVED that Ellie Goulding's "Lights" hit big in the US this summer as it was my jam about 2 years earlier in London and it became my jam again). Recently, though, I've been really enjoying my faves of the folky-rocky variety. Old tunes mingle happily with newer discoveries and such.

Last night I was enjoying some calm alone in our apartment (as the boy was at a work event all evening) and found myself making a long playlist of just such tunes. There's something a bit more there about songs with instruments and verses and developed ideas. Definitely helpful to find good head space before an interview (one of which I have this evening knockonwood). Coincidentally, I find a good deal of this music is sung by scruffy looking dudes with mildly unkept beards.

I pared my beardy guitar-y tunes down to a normal-length playlist to share with you. It spans my discovery of Son Volt from a 1995/6? mixtape my sister made for me while she was DJing on college radio to a song from the recent Avett Brothers album and a whole bunch of stuff in between (plus some Tom Petty. Because I love Tom Petty in nearly any form).

Guitar-y Tunes by LK on Grooveshark


Does anyone else have a healthy love of this sort of music? What's something I need to listen to?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I try to reply to comments, so check back if you have a question. :)