ABOUT    |    SHOP    |   EAT SOMETHING SUNDAY   |   FREEBIES   |   SPONSOR   |   CONTACT



Sunday, February 17, 2013

Eat Something Sunday: Grown Up Grapefruit


Grapefruit with a boozy kick. What could be better? Very little, my friends. Very little.

Yes, I know. There are a number of recipes and approaches for baked grapefruit out there in the land of the interwebs. But over the past few months I took ideas from a few of them, melded them together, and now have this trusty standby that is, in my humble opinion, pretty amazing. Not something you necessarily want to have before driving off to work in the AM (though really, a lot of the small bit of alcohol cooks off - or occasionally starts on fire), but excellent for a weekend treat. And it's broiled, not baked, which makes everything all caramelized and amazing.

Grown Up Grapefruit

- 1 Grapefruit (color/type of your choosing, but the bigger the better)
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- up to 1/4 cup brown sugar (to taste)
- a hearty glug of dark spiced rum

Turn on your broiler (or, for my British friends, your "grill"...)

1 - Cut your grapefruit in half and cut around the outside of each half. You could cut each little section too, but I'm not that bothered about such things. Place in a broiler-safe pan. I use a metal loaf pan (silicone grips removed to avoid burning), but a pie plate is workable too.

2 - Sprinkle on cinnamon. Sometimes I also add nutmeg. Yum.

3 - Crumble on the brown sugar and press it into the grapefruit with a spoon. THIS IS IMPORTANT. If you just leave the brown sugar in small clumps, it might just burn under the flame of the broiler. As you push it in, it will start to soak up the juices and will end up looking lovely like this:

4 - (Yes, I numbered the photo wrong). Pour on the booze!!

Now put it under the broiler for 5-10 minutes until the fruit starts to get golden around the edges. The time will vary depending on the type of broiler you have and the distance from the heat source that your fruit is. My broiler is a drawer type separate from and below the regular oven, but yours may be at the top of the main oven space. Be careful as you first put it in. If you've gone a little rum happy and have a gas flame, there is a chance it might flame up. Don't worry. That's just the alcohol burning (a la Bananas Foster). But it's better if that doesn't happen, because more of the flavor stays in.

Remove from the oven and carefully place in a bowl. If you like, pour some of the gooey carmelized juice/rum/sugar mixture that has no doubt collected in the pan on top of the grapefruit. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Ethan Shippert said...

Didnt have any rum handy, so I used some 100 octane low lead aviation fuel. The grapefruit tasted a little chemical-ly but man did those grapefruit bananas foster the heck out of my broiler...

Oh wait. I only have a hotplate and I live in a garage... whoops! Guess I dreamt the whole thing...

laura kate said...

I sense sarcasm here, Brother Bear...

roz said...

This looks amazing! THANKS for sharing!

laura kate said...

Thanks for stopping by :)