ABOUT    |    SHOP    |   EAT SOMETHING SUNDAY   |   FREEBIES   |   SPONSOR   |   CONTACT



Sunday, March 17, 2013

Eat Something Sunday: Sarah Sylvia Cinnamon Stout Cake


Eat Something Sunday happens to fall on St. Patrick's Day this week. While I was tempted to share a recipe for the non-PC named Irish Car Bomb cupcakes (which I did make for the husband's office as a treat), I decided that there are lots of takes on that in cake form out there. But it is St. Patrick's Day, so I had to do something as an ode to Ireland. This moist and decadent cinnamon and Guinness cake fits the bill. I actually made this as my birthday cake on Wednesday. It's a bit of a change from the usual birthday fare, but it's absolutely special and fabulous.

Sorry for no ingredient pic this week. I forgot before baking, then I'd used all the beer. Oops!

Sarah Sylvia Cinnamon Stout Cake*
written for a 12 cup capacity pan, such as a Bundt
adapted from My Spice Sage


preheat to 350° F

2 cups sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
1.5 cups butter
3 eggs
3 tsp baking soda
3 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
3 cups Guinness (or your favorite stout or porter)
3 cups flour



*I ♥ Shel Silverstein

1 - Cream together butter and sugars then add eggs and mix until light and fluffy.

2 - Add cinnamon, baking soda, & salt and mix to incorporate

3 - Slowly pour in the beer. I like to mix about 1/2 at a time. It will foam up and look strange. Keep going. It's supposed to do that.

4 - Add the flour. Toss it all in at once and mix until everything is wet and mixed together. You'll likely have to scrape the sides of the bowl once or twice.

5 - Pour batter into prepared (greased & floured) Bundt pan and bake at 350° F
for an hour.
I can't stress enough how important it is to prepare your pan well. I greased and floured mine within an inch of it's life and some still stuck later (possibly as my pan is ancient) - so do this well!

6 - After removing from the oven, allow the cake to cool in pan for about 30 minutes. Gently run a butter knife around the edge of the cake (and around the center bit as well) and turn out the cake onto a cooling rack to allow to finish cooling.

You can see that mine came out a little wonky. No matter. I just stuck it back together. It all tastes the same, right?


You can dust it with powdered sugar, glaze it, or even frost the whole thing - but that seems a bit overkill on such a decadent cake. I drizzled a cinnamon buttercream glaze over the whole thing. Admittedly, it looked a bit funny, but it tasted delightful!


Erin go bragh!

2 comments:

Faith said...

That's my favorite shel silverstein poem! I used to know it by heart in fourth grade, but alas... good things sometimes escape our memory. Also, this cake sounds really good.

laura kate said...

Growing up, we had a cassette tape of Shel Silverstein reading all the poems from "Where the Sidewalk Ends." It was a favorite thing to listen to. I knew a lot of them by heart back then too!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I try to reply to comments, so check back if you have a question. :)