ABOUT    |    SHOP    |   EAT SOMETHING SUNDAY   |   FREEBIES   |   SPONSOR   |   CONTACT



Saturday, October 12, 2013

BlytheCon UK 2013

It's been a week now since BCUK2013 in Glasgow and I'm still a little sad that it's over.


This year's Con was substantially smaller than the past 3 years. The organizers did a nice job at putting things together, but a number of factors led to it not being particularly well-attended. That being said, it was still a fun day and everyone who did come was very friendly.


As I have at previous BlytheCons, I had a stall for my dolly fashions. Since my rainbow sweaters were such a hit in Dallas and sold out, I knit up gobs of them for Glasgow. Oddly enough, my dresses proved more popular this year. Oops! More for Etsy then! :)






There were 20ish vendors selling every manner of dolly creation from dresses to shoes and hair to eyechips and more. It was great to see stalls from people I know/know of as well as to see some new crafters' creations. The raffle was full of prettiness as well, though this year I didn't win a thing.

In the afternoon I led a sewing workshop. It was a bit of a last minute request and so I went simple with a make-and-take reversible A-line skirt. The workshop was far more of a success than I had anticipated. There were 16 students and nearly everyone finished. The seasoned sewers found it a simple & fun project, and the newbies didn't feel daunted by the prospect of making something themselves which was exactly how I was hoping people would feel about it! Sadly, I don't think anyone got any photos of the workshop. (The Scot was watching my stall at the time and neither of the organizers popped down). Oh well. I know it was a fun time! The pattern will be up here on the blog soon as a freebie.


This year the "featured doll" was just any doll with red hair - aka Red Haired Lassis. They did the redheads group shot nearly first thing, so it wasn't very big, but The Scot very kindly took my Diana out to snap some photos while I stayed with my stall. I think they looked lovely.


The organizers hired a band for the day called "Banjo Lounge 4." They're a band who do bluegrass-y covers of pop songs and were absolutely fabulous! The Scot took some videos and I hope he'll share them eventually. They were just great. Hearing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on banjo was pretty awesome.


While the day was a bit slower and smaller than years past, I think that everyone who was there had a really good time.


It was hard to not go crazy buying up all sorts of lovely things. Since this trip was a bit of a treat in and of itself (after the marvelous special visit to Ireland 2 weeks before), I didn't really have a lot of pennies for buying. But I did end up getting 2 dresses for my middie, Phoebe (as she has pretty much zero wardrobe), and 2 lovely regular sized dresses. The Scot picked up a copy of the album the band was selling which I'm sure we'll be enjoying a lot in the near future!


Now I'm really looking forward to next year. I'm again one of the organizers and can't wait to get together soon with the others to brainstorm ideas that will go well with our beautiful as-to-be-announced venue. I can't wait!

Photos throughout by both me and The Scot. See them all here.


1 comments:

Ajeng Andianti said...

cute dolls!
would you mind to follow each other? :)

Kisses from Hong Kong :*

www.basic-classic.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/basicclassic
www.instagram.com/Andianti_

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I try to reply to comments, so check back if you have a question. :)