ABOUT    |    SHOP    |   EAT SOMETHING SUNDAY   |   FREEBIES   |   SPONSOR   |   CONTACT



Sunday, November 3, 2013

Eat Something Sunday: Drunken Poached Plums


Hey, hey! After a 4 month hiatus, Eat Something Sunday is back! While I haven't not been cooking and baking since June, I had been working with limited resources for most of July and August and then just settling back into life in London. My kitchen is nearly finished - we need a little extra storage (a cart, probably) & I just got my very own KitchenAid mixer, which makes cooking and baking much more fun.

A few weeks ago I saw a baked/poached plum recipe on Come Dine with Me and wanted to give it a try as it's still just hanging on to the end of plum season! The recipe they published online didn't quite match up with what I saw on the tv, as well as not being as yummy as I wanted. So I tweaked it and came up with my own take on this lovely, simple dessert. If you've noticed, I'm a fan of cooking and baking with alcohol. This particular dish doesn't have a long cooking time, so it's one best left for the adults in your household!

Please forgive the not up-to-scratch photos. I'm still figuring out how to photograph things in the new kitchen.


Drunken Poached Plums
serves 2-3

preheat oven to 375°F

6-8 medium-sized plums
5 tsp vanilla extract/vanilla paste
1/3 cup spiced rum
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 Tbsp dark brown sugar



1 - Halve and pit your plums. If you have any trouble with the pits, try using a melon baller. Place cut side up in small baking tin (I used a loaf tin) and bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until they've started to soften and just brown on the edges.

2 - Meanwhile, mix the rum, nutmeg, brown sugar, & vanilla (I used half extract & half paste for the texture).


3 - Take the plums from the oven and pour the rum mixture over them. Return to oven for 8-10 minutes, until the plums look all smooshy and delicious!


Serve with plums with the sauce and, if you like, some vanilla ice cream. (I made mine. It didn't look perfectly smooth, but it tasted amazing. I highly recommend home made from time to time).

This is lovely and sweet and takes the place of both a dessert and after dinner drink. Spoons up!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I try to reply to comments, so check back if you have a question. :)