ABOUT    |    SHOP    |   EAT SOMETHING SUNDAY   |   FREEBIES   |   SPONSOR   |   CONTACT



Sunday, June 29, 2014

Eat Something Sunday: Not My Mother's Chicken Salad


It's been too long, friends! While I certainly haven't stopped cooking and baking, I've severely lacked in sharing finds and favorites here with you! Today is a tasty, if not very pretty, take on a lunchtime classic: chicken salad. Delicious in a sandwich, with crackers, stuffed in a pita, or my personal favorite - with Cornthins (I love those things!). I've also served it for dinner in scooped out pear halves for a way to both fancy it up and make a bigger serving.

Fact: I generally hate all "salad" sandwich filling-type foods. Ham salad - yuck. Egg salad - horrid. Chicken salad?? I wasn't very keen on it until I played a bit with the classic blend using turkey leftovers from Thanksgiving last fall. As it turned out, when it's not super mushy or overly mayonnaise-filled (or worse, Marzetti's...blech), I quite love it! I came up with this variation in the winter and it's my go-to for leftover chicken these days.


Not My Mother's Chicken Salad
pear and chicken salad


for each 1 cup cooked chicken add:
1.5 - 2 pears (I like the Conference variety)
1/2 stalk celery
1/4 - 1/2 a medium onion
1 Tbsp mayonnaise
sea salt
ground black pepper


I tend to make this the day after I've roasted a chicken and so I pull off all the extra meat and use that before cooking up the rest of the bits into a stock. However, you can certainly use plain old chicken breasts or any cooked chicken you might have. It's super versatile!


Start by chopping or shredding up your chicken. I like to use the trick of tossing it into the bowl of my KitchenAid mixer and allowing the paddle to do its thing. (My photos show 2-3 servings, starting with about 2 cups of chicken).


Roughly chop your fruit & vegetable. Not too huge, but not too small. I use my little hand food processor to make a quick task of it.


Toss the produce in with the chicken and add the mayonnaise. Season generously with pepper and a hearty sprinkle of sea salt. Mix it up! Again, you can do this in a mixer bowl, or just by hand. Easy-peasy!


Serve as you like and enjoy the crisp contrast of savory and sweet in this simple dish!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I try to reply to comments, so check back if you have a question. :)